Friday, November 24, 2006

sometimes, I hate Word...

and I'm talking really, really hate it. Like, when it totally loses three pages of hard won words! One minute it's there, one minute it's not. And though I've set Word to save every five minutes, do you think it actually bothered saving anything in the five hours I was sweating over those three measly pages? NO!! I can find backups from the day before, last week, hell, I can even find backups for stuff I did a year ago. But current stuff? Not a sniff.

To say I was annoyed would be quite an understatement. Poor Pete had to listen to me whinging about it for at least a good hour. Which is mild compared to the whinging that used to happen when I was a cook working at the MCG. Man, his ears were blastered for a good two or three hours on my arrival home from that place. But then, certain people at the G had that sort of effect on you.

Anyway, today I had the task of trying to remember exactly what I wrote in those mising three pages. Which, as any writer knows, is just about impossible. So I read the scene before it, ended up deleting another page, then started writing the scene from scratch. I managed to reclaim the three pages, and do another three, so in the end, it wasn't too bad. But I swear I lost some great sentences in those three pages that disappeared!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG o NO!! Geez bad bad Word.....sniff sorry hope the 3 pgs are ok ^^ Plus since your a good author I bet your redo will be better!

11:21 AM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Oh Keri, that sucks! I know exactly how frustrating that can be. Darn Word! And you're right, it's impossible to capture the same words again...

Glad you managed to work it out, though.

Have a GREAT weekend!

1:06 AM, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened to me once a couple of years ago. I lost nearly 4000 words near the end of Stray. Only it was Word Perfect which devoured my hard-won words.

I don't think I've ever been so frustrated in my life.

6:21 AM, November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sucks that all your work went down the drain but it's nice to knowo I'm not the only one who has these problems.

I'm glad you were able to rewrite those pages, even if they aren't the same as what you had.

3:20 PM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home