Saturday, August 12, 2006

a conference report...

Arriving on the Gold Coast is like getting an ice cream on a very hot day--it feels absolutely wonderful. I mean, it's winter here and it's actually warm. Amazing stuff for a Melburian used to freezing winter winds.

Robyn, Mel and I arrived Thursday evening, and headed off to dinner with Miriam. Good food and gossip was shared, then we treated to my room for tea, chocolate and more gossip. But the funniest event of the night was Robyn waking at three in the morning and asking what that was. That being her dramatically flung out hand. I have no idea what she was dreaming, but it must have been interesting! :)

Friday was workshop day, and Miriam was doing a solo version of the American Idol workshop she and Irene do in America. It was fascinating to hear her read out the work and see where exactly the author lost her. Most people walked away from that workshop with some valuable tips, and some even walked away with requests (yay Mel and Robyn!) Of course,there was always going to be some grumbles, and some thought she was being too harsh. She wasn't. She was just being honest, and lets face it, how many times do people need to be told that you only have a few lines, if that, to hook an editor or agent before they actually believe these people mean what they say?

Last night was cocktail party night, and the theme was old hollywood. I went as the wicked witch of the west, complete with a hooked nose that got into food and made drinking an art form. Hopefully, I'll get some pics up in the next week or so, because there were some fantastic costumes.

Writing wise I've managed five pages so far, and I'm hoping to do a few more during my spare moments (if we don't decide to do another wine, chocolate and chat session! :) ).

Talk some more soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Sounds like fun. I'm jealous. ;-)

5:25 AM, August 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home