Tuesday, September 05, 2006

a good man dies...

Steve Irwan was an over-the-top, often cringe-worthy personality who was so totally passionate about his family and wildlife. He was also a man who put his money where his mouth is, and that seems to be a rare breed of man in these 'do what I can for me' days. He was larger than life and had always seemed invincible, but even Steve knew his time would come. In his last Aussie interview, he said he intended to die fighting for conservation and wildlife. Yesterday, while making a documentary up in Queensland, that's what happened. Steve Irwan died, killed by a stingray barb to the heart.

I was never a fan of his TV shows, not a fan of his often over the top behaviour. But I was a total fan of what he stood for, and what he was trying to do. Conservation and wildlife has lost its greatest warrior, and the world is poorer for his death.

Rest in peace, Steve.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Sfetsos said...

I agree with you, Keri. I was shocked when I found out about this. It's very sad news for Australia and Wildlife in general. :(

9:51 AM, September 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't have put it better myself, Keri. A sad day indeed :(

5:24 PM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We came to know Steve Irwan, his family and their cause for animal conservation through the Animal Planet show, "Crocodile Hunter".

America loved him and we will miss him.
I watched his Memorial Service last night and was deeply moved at how much he was loved and respected from the common folk all the way to the affluent.

He was a force to be reconed with, and he will be sorroly missed.

My condolences to his family and friends for their loss.

Sincerely,
Susan Werner ~New Jersey,USA

11:41 AM, September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home