Thursday, January 19, 2006

ding dong, the witch is dead

and the novel is FINISHED!!!!!

yay!!!!

(picture me running around in circles, waving my arms crazily and screaming at the top of my lungs, and you've pretty much got the right picture. Though if you add the piddler running around behind me, yipping at my heels, it'd probably be more accurate :D )

Yes, the muse decided to play the game yesterday, and we finished the final ten pages. It didn't exactly end how I thought it would end--and I actually had tears in my eyes when I wrote some of it (tho that might just be hormones rather than good writing ;)--but it's finished, and I can now let it sit for a while, while the muse moves on.

Of course, the way I finished it now means I'm going to have to rework the start I had for book five, but that's not really a major hassle. Most of it will still work, I just need to work in Riley's 'break' at the beginning of it. Yep, that's a spoiler, and no, I ain't going to explain it :D

So, I can now move on to writing my Loch Ness book. I'm actually excited about writing this one--so much so that I dreamed about the thing last night (always a sign the muse is feeling good about something.) Anyway, I'm planning to finish the third chapter, and choof it off to Miriam (agent extraordinaire) for an opinion. As much as I want to write this one, I'm not sure whether I should, or whether I'm simply better off concentrating on my Riley books. After all, they have sold, and Bantam may want more, and I've learned the hard way it's better to be several books ahead. The last thing I need is a repeat of the problems I had with Penumbra.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Congratulations! I love that feeling.

Can I ask what problems you had with Penumbra?

1:49 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Kez said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:52 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Kez said...

geez, you try and fix a spelling mistake and everything goes haywire. How I managed to delete my own comment is anyone's guess!

Anyway, what that post said was this; the main problem with penumbra was the fact that the first two books in the series were actually written about five years ago. Five years is a long break, and I just couldn't get back into the series. I had notes--but they were basically little more than threads that had to be followed through. The book was contracted, so I had to write it, but it was tough It's the only book in recent times that taken me a year to write--and it was well over seven months overdue.

Thankfully, my editor at ImaJinn was published herself, fully understood muse-blockage (which sounds disgusting ;), and gave me whatever time I needed to complete it. The are some advantages to being with small press :)

9:57 PM, January 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Penumbra book. Is there going to be another one to finish it off?

12:40 AM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger Kez said...

don't get me wrong--as much as I complain about Penumbra and how hard it was, I actually think it ended up being a darn good book. And maybe that's because every word was that much harder to write. It forced me to think about hte words more :)

And yes, there will be a follow up. Eventually. But I have four or five books I need to write before then (one of them being the next Circle book), so it could be quite a while before the next one appears. And I'm hoping this doesn't lead to a repeat of the Penumbra problems!

6:48 AM, January 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And I'll never stop being envious of the ease with which you say books, plural. Even one book is a looming thing here:)

7:11 AM, January 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home