Monday, December 12, 2005

Harry Potter and other stuff

Well, I trundled along with Pete and Kasey to see the latest Harry Potter the other day. I have to say, the graphics were incrediable. The dragon was simply amazing--and actually looked real. Unlike that stupid werewolf from the last movie.

But I'm one of the few people left on the planet who hasn't actually read the books. Yes, I know, I'm slack, but I just have too many other books I need to read, and the thought of picking up a series that is not only not yet finished, but weighs a ton, just makes my wrists ache (tendonitis, you know ;) But because I haven't read the books, I became totally lost in this movie. I know the main characters, but all the side characters, all the pass-off mentions of other threads that were obviously meant to mean something just went over my head. Pete did explain who was who in some areas, but he could hardly do that the whole movie. Which led me to another problem I had--the producers obviously expected you to know the books, and the characters. There was no attempt at background material, no hints for those few who haven't read the books. As Pete said, it's almost as if the characters are cardboard cutouts, because there's no depth to any of the characterisation now. And that's coming from someone who actually loves the books, so things have to be bad if he's noticing it.

But the one good thing about the movie was the previews beforehand. King Kong and Narnia simply look smashing, and I can't wait to see them. And what looks to be a spoof horror called Slither looks damn funny, too. It has the delightfully yummy Nathan Fillian (the captian guy from Firefly) in it, so that makes it a must-see anyway. :)

In writing news, well, there isn't any. I spent the weekend visiting a friend in the hills, Christmas shopping (have I meantioned the fact that I hate Christmas shopping? And the fact that everything goes up pricewise this time of year is just so annoying...but that's another rant...), and working in the garden, planting some trees and shrubs so everything looks pretty come Christmas time. Today will probably be a bust writing wise--it's supposed to be 35 degrees celsius here, and that's just too darn hot for this time of the year. The brain refuses to think in those sort of temps, I'm telling you.

But as ever, I'll let you know what happens :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Well, I have to admit I don't know how warm 35C is without looking it up, but it was 6 degrees Fahrenheit here last week. My driveway was iced over and I couldn't get out until the rock salt had a chance to work its magic. In spite of that, though, I really like cold weather. What little we get in my area.

11:28 AM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Kez said...

The Narnia effects just look brill--and it looks like they've followed the story in the books pretty faithfully. Gotta love that!

4:25 PM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Kez said...

Rachel, 35c is about 95f--which I suppose isn't all that hot, but when you consider we actually don't get our hot weather until late Jan, early Feb, it's not looking good for a cooler summer this year. (We've basically been in drought conditions for 6 or 7 years. Last year they introduced permanent water restrictions). Right now, I'd love to see snow! Though given I actually hate the cold, I wouldn't want to see too much of it over a long period.... :D

4:28 PM, December 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home