Tuesday, November 22, 2005

give me action any day

Remember how I said yesterday I was going to write more than five pages? Well, I did, but only just. I managed a whole total of six pages. The trouble, you see, was that I was writing an emotional scene rather than an action one. I love action scenes--they're easy to figure out. You don't have to work out what people are thinking, just how they're physcially reacting. Emotional scenes are a whole different ballgame--especially in first person. You not only have to make sense of the main character's thoughts and emotions, but you have to show the second character's reactions, without ever having the benefit of flipping into their pov and getting some introspection happening. It's tough. Yesterday I spent more time getting up from the computer and walking around than I did sitting down and actually writing. But in scenes like this--a scene where Riley is finally confronting Quinn over his actions--I think it's better to take whatever time the scene needs and get it right, rather than producing something that doesn't ring true. Right now, I think I have the basics of a really powerful scene--even if it's one that needs a little more thinking time, and a little more work.

Anyway, I'm back to attempting five pages today. If I get them done, I'll have reached the 290 page mark. With a bit of luck, I'll roll over the magic 300 page mark by the weekend. I'm not sure why, but hitting 300 pages is always a bit of a relief. Until I get to that point, I'm never entirely sure that the novel has enough 'oomph' in it to stretch to 400 pages. Reaching 300 is usually a sure sign that there is. And there's so much in this novel that has yet to happen--I just love it when that happens! It usually means the end bit is a truly exciting ride, and that's all good :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle said...

Okay, how about you write my action scenes and I'll write your emotional scenes? Coz they're easier for me, ESPECIALLY first person. Not having someone else's POV to worry about completely rocks my world.

9:44 PM, November 23, 2005  
Blogger Kez said...

sounds like a plan...

Not sure that blood and guts action will suit some of your stories, tho mine could do with some of your darker page moments. I mean, your characters just don't go around chopping peoples heads off...

7:18 AM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Unless they've got really bad PMS!

7:57 PM, November 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home