Monday, January 08, 2007

I did something strange yesterday...

I went and plotted a book. Now, before you all keel over with the shock of me--the worlds biggest pantzer--actually plotting a book, I'd just like to say that it isn't your regular, story-in-line type plot. It's more a rambly, whole heap of ideas thrown onto a page, type plot. I haven't changed the way I write, I just needed to get the ideas down on a page before they disappeared out of the brain. I think that's part of the reason Embraced was such a mess (the other reason being lack of time to revise). I actually wrote the first chapter and a half of Embraced at the beginning of 2006 and, back then, had a good idea of where I wanted it to go. But Destiny was contracted to be handed in first and that's what I began concentrating on. Then Bantam contacted me and wanted the hand-in dates switched. I think my first words were along the lines of oh crap. And those words were barely out of my mouth when all the lovely ideas I'd had for Embraced just went slithering from my brain and were forever lost. Of course, I hadn't bothered to write any of them down, and ended up having to muddle my way through, desperately trying to remember what I'd actually intended.

Not this time. This time I will have notes to remind me of what I intended. Which is not to say that I won't veer seriously away from the notes, but at least they're there if I get stuck. And I have to say, I'm liking the ideas. A lot. There's going to be a dramatic turn of events for Liander and Rhoan in this one, and, as I mentioned in the previous blog, the return of a major character. And I am so looking forward to bring that character back. Of course, whether I bring said character back in a good way or a bad way is just something you'll have to wait for and read. (insert evil laughter here) :)

But back to Embraced. I've finished the major rewrites, and am now doing the line edits. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the way this is shaping up. It may have been a mess, but I think it's becoming a pretty powerful story. Hopefully, anyway. I guess I won't know for sure until it's out on the shelf and being read. Which is only another 6 months away! :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am a new fan and fully intend to spread the word to a few of my friends who also love stories like you write. There are so few authors that make a trip to the bookstore worth it these days, so you are a breath of fresh air!

12:07 PM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Keri I just found your blog. And you wirte in the genre I am starting out in. I will be watching you enthusiastically.

3:09 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Kez said...

thanks Caethforwyn! Glad you enjoyed the books so much :)

8:26 AM, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Kez said...

good luck with your writing, Sparrow! :)

8:27 AM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home